I have photographed smoke trails and shapes before, but thought I would see what I could get today by using the microphone sensor and Camera Axe to time the shots.
Here is my setup diagram:
And the actual mini studio in the kitchen:
Back to the General Sensor setup menu for this shoot. Sensor 1 (the microphone) was set as the trigger for both camera (device1) and flash (device2). I set the delay on the camera to 0ms – I wanted the shutter open right away.
Experimenting with the flash delay gave a value of 350ms which showed some interesting smoke patterns once the “huff” of blowing out the match had triggered the mic sensor. The threshold value was set quite low for this – 040/20 (ambient noise) which meant it was very sensitive to any noises, including blowing out the flame.
The camera was set at ISO100, bulb and f/14. The CAS5 was holding the camera shutter open for a 1s exposure – but of course the only light available during that time was the high speed flash set to 1/32 power.
I burned through quite a lot of matches! But thankfully no fingers or cables, so that was a small price to pay.
Then, as with many of these things, it was just a case of playing about and repeating the process over and over until I got some interesting shapes.
Here is a small selection: