I have been taking a look at some of my recent water droplet shots and wasn’t really satisfied by the depth of field I was getting, compared to some other shots I’ve seen on Flickr:
Most have been taken with the two flashes at very low power – 1/128. One option is to up the power – but the further this goes, the longer the duration of the flash – which is not good for capturing the fast events of water drop collisions. So, the other option – more flashes all on low power!
Today I took delivery of another three YN560’s and wireless triggers. They are very reasonably priced and I’ve been very pleased with their performance so far. I thought it best to go for more of the same type since I’m used to their operation and any delays etc will hopefully be consistent between them all.
So I began to set up another shoot with all five flashes:
The first was at the rear behind the perspex, using my DIY softbox. The “main” one was using a DIY gridded snoot, while the other 3 were using plain snoots. I had just got it all set up and was preparing to play with the fluid when I realised my valve sensor wasn’t working properly. Drat. Well, it was getting late, so I decided not to persue it for today. But I shall do more investigation and report back.
In the meantime, I’ve taken a few shots of this to see how pin sharp I can get things at f/22:
Not bad, I think! I’m looking forward to getting them pointed at some water splashes soon.