After yesterday’s success with double droplet collisions, today I thought I would try and make some double crown shots. I’ve not seen anyone do these on Flickr before, so I hope you like them. Here’s the setup:
As with my other crown shots, the valves are dropping onto perspex. In the past, I’ve had reasonable success but not really seen some of the long tendrils I’ve noticed in other people’s pictures.
Initially I was getting the standard fairly boring shapes – crowns, yes, but not much in the way of splashes from the rims. I had a brainwave and decided to add a drop of Rinse Aid into each of the drop pools when they first form and see what happened. (I’ve used Rinse Aid in the bowl when doing splash collisions, but never for crowns on a flat surface before). All of a sudden, more interesting shapes began to appear!
There are some great patterns there, I’m very pleased. My ultimate image for the day, containing a “King and Queen” crown was Day #1472.